- Luxury Boutique & Pet friendly Hotel
- 337 rooms, 25 Suites and 2 Penthouses
- 2PM Check-in & 2PM Check-out
- Walking distance from main NYC attractions
- Valet Parking (Daily Fee: Car $50 / SUV $60)
- Appelles Bath Products
- Fast & Reliable Wi-fi
- Spa, Gym, Yoga & Boxing Classes available
The James Hotel – NoMad is the birth child of the NYC based Danish architect Thomas Juul-Hansen who has transformed this historic building off 29th Street into something that the hotel describes as “modern luxury with soul.”
When you combine the iconic yellow cabs with the hotel’s brass bellboy trolleys and interiors fitted with marble floors and velvet couches, this slick NYC boutique hotel was a true mix of sophistication meets local culture.
Keep reading for our review based on our 5 nights stay at The James Hotel NoMad in July 2019.
Depending on where you’re coming from, The James New York – NoMad is easily accessible from the airport and public transport.
From the airport:
- LaGuardia (LGA) Airport: Approx 25-30 mins
- John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport: Approx 45-50 mins
- Newark Liberty (EWR) Airport: Approx 50-60 mins
- Penn Station: Approx 11 mins to
- Grand Central: Approx 15 mins
Not only is The James Hotel – NoMad just 2 blocks away from the subway, it’s virtually walking distance from all the landmarks and attractions that we really wanted to see :
- The Flatiron Building & Union Square
- Madison Square Park
- Macy’s Herald Square
- Empire State Building
- Top of the Rock NYC
And if you’re looking for somewhere a bit further out of town, there are yellow cabs virtually at every corner or you can just order an Uber.
As a relative guide, taxis are said to be cheaper in New York when traffic is flowing 20 MPH, otherwise Uber is the cheaper outside of its peak hour surge charge.
The Hotel Room
During our 5 night stay, we found solace in our Guest Room with a King Bed which was surprisingly quiet for a room in Manhattan.
The price range of this hotel will depend on your room selection as well as the room availability during the time of your stay. Based on our stay during July 2019, this Guestroom was approx $270 USD per night.
The comfortable, clean and spacious room made us feel like we had just moved into our very own NYC apartment and we had everything we needed in our new abode:
- King Bed
- Bedside USB Ports
- 40″ Samsung HD TV
- Appelles Bathroom Amenities
- Bath robes and slippers
- Hairdryer & ironing facilities
- Air conditioned Rooms
- Strong wi-fi in all locations
- Fully stocked pantry and mini bar
Our bathrooms were also stocked with APPELLES amenities including our personal favourite selection of skincare and body products which is always a bonus!
Both of us actually have quite sensitive skin especially when we are switching from one brand to the next during our travels. So it’s definitely nice to have something our skin is familiar with.
We also loved our mosaic tiled bathroom, marble vanity table and wooden cabinets. It certainly gave us some interior inspiration for our own space at home.
Dining & Restaurants
There are three dining options available at the hotel:
- Scarpetta: Italian Restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Although we didn’t dine here, this seemed to be quite busy at most hours of the day and had great reviews online.
- The Seville: This is a classic NYC style cocktail lounge and a hotspot on the weekend. It’s open from 4pm till late night and there is a bar menu available also.
- In-room Dining: There’s a breakfast, lunch, dinner and kids menu available for in-room dining. There are so many food options around the hotel that we didn’t get to order any in-room food but this comes in handy for any lazy nights when you just feel like curling up in the comfort of your bed.
Complimentary Food & Drinks
In the lounge area (located at the lobby) there is also free coffee, tea, fruit infused water and fruit available every hour.
On our check-out day we had a very early flight so it was very convenient to be able to grab a coffee and a snack on the go.
There is also a wine tour available daily in the late afternoon that we wish we had time to experience (maybe next time!)
Activities & Wellness
There are a number of wellness activities open to hotel guests including:
- Boxing Class: This was hosted at a local Throwdown Boxing Studio every Wednesday morning at 8am and is complimentary for guests if you make a reservation at the front desk.
- Yoga Class: This was hosted with Yoga Spark and runs every Sunday from 10:30am-11:30am. Guests are required to make a reservation at the front desk.
- 24 Hour Fitness Centre: The NYC community is quite health conscious (you’ll see early morning joggers all around the park) so naturally The James Hotel – NoMad offers a gym that opens 24/7 for guests.
- In-room Massage: We didn’t get to take advantage of this but the hotel also offers same-day in-room massages upon request. However this is an additional service.
Overall, this hotel was very comfortable, spacious, easily accessible with reliable customer service and all the hotel amenities we needed. We settled in very well into our hotel room and would have happily extended our stay if we needed to.
If you’re looking for somewhere with a central location that isn’t buzzing with the sounds from the busy streets, this is a great option and highly recommended for couples, families and business travellers too (there are meeting & conference rooms available also).
One Comment Add yours
Stayed there, lovely hotel and great bar